Happy Holidays to everyone! What can I say? It has been over a year since my last touch of this blog and I guess it just feels like I should do something now. My guess is that there aren't many folks continuing to view this, as there haven't been much in the way of updates by me. Other than doing our best to work through the COVID19 intrusions and challenges, I'd have to say we're doing well, overall. There have been some changes to Jason's general condition, with most of that being good, and so I'll get some of that updated with this.

First, Jason has had more surgery. Yeah, we know, he is the one person who really wants to avoid surgery and to simply do his best to go on living. The challenges though are that due to the injuries there are still a few things that can be improved, with his urinary track being a big one they wanted to get to. It was a reconstructive surgery that was basically successful. The doctor initially said he thought he would have very good results but in the end it was more like an 85% positive result. This was also the second surgery of the same area, so we're all hoping it will remain a positive result. The really good part is that there is no longer any catheter to deal with and that means infection issues have been greatly reduced.

Jason is still very much interested in his Sled Hockey, and right now the team he was skating (is skating?) with is celebrating their 2nd year in a row as division national champs. The down side to that is that the second year happened only because of COVID and that shut down all the hockey games. Jason is very anxious to get skating again, as is the rest of the team. There is a great deal of effort going on with all of the team members and staff, to stay in touch and think of things to do, to keep moral up and stay in as good a shape as can be done.

The girls are still with us 50% of the time and like everyone else, they'd rather be living a more normal life in stead of going to school via a laptop or iPad. The girls are doing as well, though there is still plenty of room to improve, overall. Jason has had to crack down on them a couple of times, when he found them playing, sleeping, or doing other things that had nothing to do with school... But heck, that's what dads are supposed to do. He has worked with their mother to coordinating some of the parental controls but it is still very much a challenge sometimes.

The dogs are doing well, with Gracie showing that she is getting older and doesn't move around as well as she used to. Kojak, on the other hand, still acts like a crazy dog and has amazing amounts of energy. He has learned to slow down a little around Gracie, but other than that, he seems to have two speeds - Stop and Go-as-fast-as-possible.

The chickens (yeah, for those that are not aware, Jason is raising chickens) are doing well, but for some reason have stopped laying eggs. Jason has done a far amount of research on this and figures this simply some kind of "phase" they're in. We were getting anywhere from 6 to 9 eggs a day and now we feel lucky if we find 2. And, for those wondering, Jason has 12 chickens and 1 rooster.

Linda and I still get out to do a few other things, with Linda being the President of the North County Chapter of the Blue Star Mothers, and me getting out on my bike when I can. There are a few other opportunities to get involved with volunteer things, but I'm thinking that perhaps we should look to slow down just a little, and maybe get some rest. Right now, Sunday - going to church - is where we get a chance to simply relax and socialize some. We are very fortunate to have such a great church to call home. Well, I think that just about does it for now, we have some Holiday plans to work on and Christmas planning as well. Take care and stay positive.

Comments

  1. Wonderful update!!! Loved hearing from you! Wising you all continued blessings. Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful to read an update on your family! Merry Christmas and I look forward to more updates during 2021. Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update! I do check several times a month to see if there is a posting. All of you are in my thoughts - such admiration for all of you and how you are handling life. Here is hoping for a greatly improved year - 2021!

    Mary Ann Jones

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am glad to see Jason is doing so well. I was the crewman on the RAF medevac helicopter that extracted Jason from the battlefield in 2011. Normally we wouldn’t know much details about the casualties we extracted but in 2015 Jason’s CO Maj Donlon emailed to thank us for the work we did in Afghanistan.I found the email this morning whilst searching for another and as it is 10 years this week since that day, it seemed like fate so I did a search online and found this blog. I just wanted to extend my best wishes from the UK, especially in these turbulent times and wish Jason and you all the best of luck for the future. It isn’t often I think of those days but when I do I remember the bravery and sacrifice of the men on the ground.
    Kind regards
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am glad to see Jason is doing so well. I was the crewman on the RAF medevac helicopter that extracted Jason from the battlefield in 2011. Normally we wouldn’t know much details about the casualties we extracted but in 2015 Jason’s CO Maj Donlon emailed to thank us for the work we did in Afghanistan.I found the email this morning whilst searching for another and as it is 10 years this week since that day, it seemed like fate so I did a search online and found this blog. I just wanted to extend my best wishes from the UK, especially in these turbulent times and wish Jason and you all the best of luck for the future. It isn’t often I think of those days but when I do I remember the bravery and sacrifice of the men on the ground.
    Kind regards
    Mick

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

10 Alive Day (10 Years after the blast)

April 29, 2018