Yesterday was a big day for Jason, and tomorrow is another one - though for two different reasons.
We got up at about 04:00 yesterday, to get ready to head out to Balboa Hospital, for an exploratory procedure that the doctors needed to do, in order to determine if a corrective surgery was a possibility. Jason was pretty excited about the procedure, and he was very anxious/nervous about having it done. We needed to be out of the house by 04:45 in order to be at the hospital at the time that was set, 05:45. . . we managed to get out of the house at 05:03, so we were running a little late.
Traffic was heavier than initially anticipated, though it was moving well, and we were able to maintain a good pace, just over 70 mph, for most of the way (right at the speed limit). We arrived at the base a few minutes later than what I had wanted, but still not too bad, and parking wasn't much of an issue, fortunately. It took us another 10 minutes to get up to Check In and Pre-Op and then Jason was checked in and ready to go. As it turns out the planners figure the patients are going to be running a little late so as far as they were concerned Jason was just about right on time.
As usual, when Jason goes in, we had several visitors (medical staff) come by and ask the same questions each time. A couple of the doctors came by a couple of times, and all of them were very friendly. I think it helped that a couple of the nurses remembered Jason from the past and they kept coming in to just chat. Then they finally came at took Jason to the OR.
I took the dogs out and walked around with them for a little while, and that was probably a good thing, especially for Kojak - he had to "go." After about an hour I went back in and stopped in the waiting room and just as I sat down one of the doctors came in and updated me that Jason was doing well and should be out in another hour. I could go up to the 4th floor, where he would finish his recovery, if I wanted to. He also explained what they found. The procedure was exploratory, to determine if some reconstructive surgery was warranted, and as it turned out, it was. In fact what they found was much better than they had anticipated and feel that the surgery should allow Jason to be able to get away from the SP Catheter he has been dealing with for the past fine years. The catheter has been the source of most of the infections he has had to deal with, so this was very positive news for Jason (and the rest of us). We now will be going back in on March 18, to talk with the doctor, to see when it can be done.
We headed back home, and it was just now noon. The rest of the day was going to be some preparation work for the 5-Alive celebration coming on Saturday, and getting some lunch. Since Jason had eaten (I hadn't eaten much either), he was getting hungry. I fixed some burritos and we had a moment to relax and just enjoy the moment. While we were away, Linda had been working on the house and Joselyn had come over to help. There was also a worker from the contractor who built the house, and everybody was busy. Fortunately, when we arrived the contractor was just about finished so he was able to move his truck, and Jason and I were able to park.
Linda has been getting things ready for Saturday, and doing most of the coordinating effort, with me being the heavy lifting guy (I've moved several boxes and pieces of furniture). Planned parking is still an issue and there is one other thing that we need to be concerned about - and that is the weather. It looks like it is going to rain, both today and Saturday, so we're now scrambling to figure out what we will do with 100+ people and no cover or tent. The food and drinks have all been adjusted, but we really don't know if it is all going to work, at this point. Jason is still very positive (and recovered very well from the procedure), so his attitude is simply that what happens is what happens. Don't get me wrong, Jason is still very engaged in the planning and coordinating, also. He just isn't getting worked up about it. . . he's leaving that to Mom and Dad... ;-)
Tomorrow is going to be a big day, and we're looking forward to it. We have some guests coming from as far away as the East Coast (New York area) and as close as next door. We might end up getting a little wet, but that is okay, we're going to enjoy this celebration of life - besides, we need the rain. Thank you, for all the continued support and prayers (especially for this weekend). Take care and stay positive.