December 21, 2011 - Last Day In The Hospital

Today was an especially busy day for me, as I had to pack up all my belongings (again) so that I could move out of the Fisher House. Then I went over to pack up all of Jason's belongings, so that I could move both of us to his new house. It was a matter of shuttling back and forth, and still spending some time with Jason. On top of all that Jason had his dressings changed today, and I was involved with that, too. Despite all the activity and shuttling, we managed to get out of the hospital by 15:30 (3:30pm) today, and we were in the house just a few minutes later.

The day started out with the packing, and then I had to make the first run over to the house. The bed was being delivered and I needed to be there to receive it, and to make sure it was set up both correctly, and in the right place. The guys from Healthy Back were very professional and had it done in less than an hour. That was great, as far as I was concerned because I still needed to finish with Jason's room. Jason was feeling a little tired today, as yesterday was a particularly busy day for him. I guess it was better that way, since I was gone for most of the time, and he was able to just sleep. He did have one visitor, one of his old EOD buddies, and that made me feel better about taking off.

Once we finally got out of the hospital (after a pretty good tutorial on what I was going to be doing for Jason) we headed over to the house. We got into the house and did some unpacking, then I asked Jason to attempt the chair/recliner. He got into the chair with little difficulty, and he was generally comfortable. This was a good thing, as I was concerned about wheelchair time, and how that tended to be a little uncomfortable when he was in the chair too long. The challenge was getting back to his wheelchair, from the recliner. It was a big effort for Jason, and he did it, though he said it was going to take a bunch more practice before he did it well.

We had soup for dinner, as we both just wanted to something simple and quick. It was fortunate for us that the Blue Star Moms and Furnishing Hope (food and furniture) had the house set up for us. We need to finish getting the house in order tomorrow, as well as we need to get Jason over to the hospital for his first appointment as an out patient! Pretty cool!!

Jason is sleeping now, and I am going to bed in just a few minutes. Thank you, all for all your support through this journey. I set out to track it with this blog, and now it looks like this first chapter (book?) is done. I will still be making entries to the blog, though I don't know how often right now. Please let me know if this is something you'd like me to continue, or if you've all had enough. God bless you all, and thank you again.

Comments

  1. So happy for you guys. I know Jason will be successful with his challenges regarding furniture, new moves and muscles.

    Did you get a Christmas tree yet?

    My vote is to continue with the blog!! Chapter Two starts tomorrow :-) Besides, it's an honor to be part of Team Jason as a Prayer Warrior. The blog is helpful to focus prayer.

    If you can, will you take and post some pics of Jason with his wife and daughters and the entire Ross Clan at Christmas?? That would be so great to see.

    Prayers continuing! Hugs to all.
    Going to see Linda and the little ones tomorrow.

    Love,
    Karen & Rob
    Livermore Friends
    Merry Christmas Everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered this blog and am catching up...i think it is awesome!! please don't stop now as this is a new chapter in the story and i am anxious to read how it all goes

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day for you Jason. Finally out of the hospital and now officially an out-patient, yahoo! I hope you have a good night sleep tonight in your new home. I have enjoyed reading your blog immensely and would love to have you share the next chapter with us. Enjoy each of these special moments of being out of the hospital, the arrival of the girls, Linda and Bridgette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! Am so happy for you!
    Always praying!
    John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don’t stop writing this blog. I have been reading it since day 1.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote to continue the blog!! I have been reading the blog daily since the beginning. Jason and you are so inspirational. You both bring hope and joy to me daily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. George,

    You hit the nail on the head when you wrote, the end of chapter 1 of the book. I wholeheartedly agree with the other comments posted. I receive the blog by email daily which is a day behind. If I can't read it on a computer then I read it on my phone. The point is I forward yesterday's blog with a message to the people who signed the cards I brought in October. They are happy to hear Jason and you are out of the hospital and the family will be together.

    Those of us reading the blog have an emotional connection to your family even if we have never met you and you them. It is as if we are all friends even if we have not met. We care about what happens to all of you in the future.

    There is not one person whom I have told about Jason and shown the blog,and the Victor Juhasz drawings and comments that have not been moved to do something for the wounded warriors. Recently, the brother of my coworker, the one who was in Somalia, visited our office. The brother is a a goalkeeper for an Major League Soccer team in San Jose. He raised funds for the Navy Seal Foundation by auctioning his goalkeepr gloves and cleats. The commander of seal team six setup a meeting with the families and the seals here. I told the brother about Jason, showed him the blog,the drawings and he started to cry. Between the visit with the seals and Jason's story, his reaction was to call the league office and tell them we are not doing enough and he offered to me to do anything we needed for our WWP event in March as well. He will carry the story to many more.

    You and your family's willingness to share your story has paid dividends in bringing awareness of our Wounded Warriors and their needs. It has moved many to raise funds to assist. You have done a great service for all Wounded Warriors.

    We definitely want to see pictures of everyone together for Christmas and the house. We want to read Chapter Two. I myself will always wonder what happened next.

    AS Anonymous, Jason and you are so inspirational. Merry Christmas to all of the Ross Family!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ross Clan,
    "Praise the Lord" for all His blessings upon you. I am so excited for you that you are now in your home. Praying for Bridgette and the girls that they will be with you soon. What a joyous Christmas for the Ross family. George, please continue with the blog if you can. I have been reading it since day 1 and it makes me feel connected to Jason and the family. Continuing to pray for your complete healing.
    Blessings,
    Paula Gentile, friend of Carol and Tom Hall,
    from Pasadena, Maryland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jason and George,

    I also agree with all the others about keeping the blog going. I have been reading it from day one myself. I too would wonder how Jason and all of you are doing. I feel like I know you even though we haven't met.

    I am so happy for all of you. This journey is moving forward and you will be with your family soon. Merry Christmas to all.

    Eileen Bitting
    Marine Mom
    Blue Star Mom
    Chapter 101

    ReplyDelete
  10. We read your blog every day so we vote for you to continue it too! I know readers of our own family blog link to it, so it's a real connection for us all to have with our servicemen and their families. Your blog keeps it real for us all. At the same time, we know it's tiring to sit down every night and do an entry when you probably just want to crash, so we appreciate it all the more. Even the uneventful days are interesting and informative. We haven't met you either but we are with you in spirit and wish you every blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jason is an inspiration and I read the blog everyday along with my 4 and 6 year old sons. I really hope you can keep this going as I feel like a part of you. We love hearing about Jason's amazing recovery. We would love to help in any way if possible.... Bless our troops and all you have done for your son. You are an amazing father. Halofan@socal.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. CDR Jim McDonough, USN (Ret)December 22, 2011 at 5:20 PM

    George: Congratulations to you and Jason for completing the first major step in his recovery. I was fortunate to meet with you at Bethesda when I gave you the same book the Commandant had just presented you. You are an exemplary Father, and together with Jason you are a strong team. Please continue updates, they inspire all those that follow. Best wishes for Blessed Holidays from Walter Reed Bethesda.
    Respectfully, Jim McDonough, Internal Medicine Service, Walter Reed, Bethesda, MD

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi George,

    We, at Furnishing Hope, are delighted that Jason and you are enjoying your new furniture. We hope Jason continues to use the recliner as a new test for his strength and agility; in due time, his transfer will be in a flash.

    From the Furnishing Hope family to yours, have a great holiday!

    Best,
    Kristen
    Marketing Director, Furnishing Hope

    ReplyDelete
  14. George- I will continue reading it as long as you and/or Jason want to write it. I think you might haev a book here...a chronicle of what courage means when you come home from the battlefield. Your family is an inspiration.
    hugs, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Exactly what Carol said, George, book and all. Yes, your family is an inspiration. Peace, Bill Buchanan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brought some homemade turkey soup over to Linda and the little ones tonight. We had a little Christmas party and Rob got to hold Jackie :) It's a blessing having your family in our lives and I look forward to future entries in the blog and of course, the book.

    Linda is so excited about going down to San Diego tomorrow with the girls. Let us know some how that they arrive safely.

    God Bless All of You,
    Karen & Rob
    Livermore Friends
    PS I am going to go to your church on Christmas Eve :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so happy for y'all to be in a house, a new adventure begins, new challenges, new chapter...yes, yes, yes I'd like you to continue IF you want to of course. Prayers for Jason's next chapter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

10 Alive Day (10 Years after the blast)