December 12, 2011 - Moving Out!

Well, as you might guess, from the title, today we discussed Jason moving out of the hospital, and into a more permanent residence. They have found a house that Jason has agreed to. It isn't exactly what he was wanting, though it has some nice features. His home back in N.C. was about 1400 square feet, with 3 bedrooms and 2 bath. This new place is just over 2200sq. ft. and also 3 bedrooms and 2 bath. A big difference is that N.C. they had a huge yard, San Diego very little yard. The interior of the home is nice, with plenty of new upgrades, plus a dishwasher, which they didn't have in N.C. One of the other things that Jason was asking to have in the house is front loading washer and dryer, and this place has that. It is also multilevel, with two of the bedrooms down stairs and one bedroom and one bathroom upstairs. The rooms are much larger and there is plenty of space for Jason to maneuver around in. They have also talked about putting a chair-lift in for the stairs, should there be a need for Jason to go upstairs. They are working on getting the house ready, as they previous tenant just moved out, and it should be ready possibly by the end of this week, or no later than first of next week. I have been asked to be available to receive some furniture on Friday, so that is a good indication that they are confident. Jason is planning on moving in on Monday next week, and then have a "living study" (that's where they make sure that it is a safe environment for Jason) done on Tuesday.

Jason took a shower this morning and right after he had his new dressings put on. His wounds are healing up nicely now, though still slow, and we, Jason and I, need to be able to deal with the dressing changes on our own - I'm confident that we can. The meeting (above) took place right after the dressing was in done, and he had gotten dressed. Actually, it was good to see Jason sitting up in his chair for this meeting. He wanted to feel like he was more in a position of power for the meeting, and lying in bed just doesn't cut it.

By now it was lunch time so I went down to the galley and picked up my lunch. I came back up to Jason's room, and then they brought in his "lunch." He took a look at it and let them know that he was NOT happy with their performance and I honestly believe he would have thrown it at them (the food people) if he thought it would help them to start paying attention to what he asks for. Since he didn't want what they brought he sent it back and asked me to go down to the galley again, and pick up something for him to eat. I asked him if he would like to have what I had, and he said sure, why not. It was braised beef in a gravy sauce, over egg noodles... it was pretty good. After lunch he went on to OT, over at C5, where he worked with Lynn and she gave him a good 45 minutes of work.

We came back over to the 5th floor, and before he could get back in his room the PT folks came by and said it was time for them. Actually Jason already new this so it wasn't a surprise to him. He headed over to the gym, on the 5th floor and had another good 45 minutes of work and by the time he was done, he was tired. It was probably the most continual effort that he has done, since coming to San Diego, and it showed. He got back up in his bed and in a matter of just about an hour, he was asleep. It was after 16:00 (4pm) and he was out. I had a few things I needed to get done, so I told him I was taking off and that I loved him, though I don't think he heard me. By the time I was done with my errands, and the traffic, it was after 17:30 (5:30pm) so I just headed back to the Fisher House to fix something to eat. It was also raining pretty hard (something it doesn't do much around here) and I didn't want to get soaked walking back to the hospital. Tomorrow is another day so we'll see where that takes us.

Thanks, for all the continued support and all the prayers.


  1. THIS is very, very, good news!! I'll be praying they get it right and ready to move in the week before Christmas as planned. I'm so sorry the Food Folks just can't seem to accomodate Jason's requests for a meal :-( You guys will be so busy this next week so please know that you are being prayed for by so many people, your entire family. You all deserve peace and I pray you have it, you have all our love also back home and around the country. Even my dentist wants to pray for Jason.

    I will watch the little gals for Linda so she can go to the hair dresser on Wednesday. I hope we can read some fun books while grandma is taking some time for herself.

    Sending peace and love to all!
    Karen & Rob
    Livermore Friends

  2. This is wonderful news!
    Praying right now.
    Psalms 9:9-10 The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

  3. Yea!!!! A house!!!! Praying that everything goes well with the "living study."
    Paula Gentile, friend of Carol and Tom Hall,
    from Pasadena, Maryland

    "Praise the Lord in all things"

  4. I'm glad that the housing situation is handled-it has got to be a relief. Hope Jason finds some peace knowing his family will be all under one roof again! I cannot wait to tell the students- they will be thrilled!
    Thank you for the updates, George. Please tell Jason, we are SO proud of all of his accomplishments and gains.
    Blessings from your friends at DLC


Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014