June 16, 2015

Perhaps I'll need to start blogging and posting in the early morning hours. Last night we (Jason and I) were up kind of late, due to some extra challenges, and I didn't get to my blogging until late. As I attempted to write this up my connection became very sketchy, and it was taking more than a minute to write a single word. This morning it is much better, so maybe I need to switch to morning. Heck I normally wake early anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Yesterday and the day before were very busy for us. We went to the Gary Sinise Foundation / Lt. Dan Band concert at the Hotel Del Coronado and had a great time. Getting ready to go was a bit of a challenge, as things kept going in different directions and we had to work to stay focused on getting to the event/concert. We made it to the hotel and checked in with the idea that Jason was going to get some rest, prior to the concert. I guess the excitement was a bit much for everyone and Jason wanted to get some social time in, visiting. Linda and I had promised the girls we'd take them to the beach and when we left, one of the last things I asked of Jason was to be sure to get some rest before the reception, at 15:15 (3:15pm).  When we got back from the beach, Jason was not in the room, so I went to go find him. It was now about 14:30 (2:30pm) so that meant very little rest time left available. Jason showed up about 10 minutes later and did finally lay down, but that also meant he was only getting 15 minutes of rest, rather than a couple of hours.

We went to the reception and got to do more socializing and meeting up with some friends we hadn't seen in months. We all felt pretty good, and the girls were really having a great time. At about 16:30 we all started to make our way to the stage that was set up on the beach, and because we were VIP guests, we got taken right up to the front. We then took the girls around to behind the stage and saw Gary, getting ready. Gary is such a great guy - even while he is under the pressure of having to hit a deadline to get on stage, he is gracious and considerate of us, and our interruption. We leave and get back to our seats, about two minutes later. Even the security is going out of their way to be very courteous and yet solid.

The performance was wonderful, and Gary had a great connection with the audience. The down side came towards the end of the performance. This is where the lack of rest showed up and Jason had to get back to the hotel room. Fortunately there were a few people there from the Carrington Foundation as well, and Brandon and Kurt were able to help us get the girls and all our stuff (we brought chairs and other items - the performance was on the beach, after all) back to the room. We all just sort of collapsed for a few minutes and then Linda started with getting the girls ready. Shortly after that I started getting some things ready and helping with the packing. All together it took us about an hour to get back out of the room. Some of that was due to the hotel being busy, and trying to get a luggage cart to the room, though we finally did check out. The room was made available to us, through GSF and the hotel, so that was very nice.

Once we got home we just did a quick job of putting stuff away and getting the girls to bed. It was late for them (about 21:30/9:30pm) and we'd had a great day. Everyone was tired and we had another exciting day ahead of us...

Yesterday, Linda had to get the final touches together so that she could go with her parents, on their road trip. This was something that we talked about for days, and she struggled with. Should she be going when Jason is going in for surgery? We finally came to the conclusion that her going was the right decision, as her parents are both getting older and a long drive isn't always that easy to do. This is probably their last long road trip, and having Linda along makes it much more safe. Jason is going in to a hospital where there is a level of confidence and comfort that allows us to feel that this is going to be a relatively safe way to go, for all of us. On top of that I have taken care of Jason and the girls, on my own in the past, and the girls are now older, and that makes it a little easier. Anyway, she got off to the train (she road the train up to their place, to meet them there) and they are now on the road, headed to Utah, to go see Lisa and Michael (Linda's sister and her husband).

The rest of the day was pretty relaxed, and basically just getting Jason ready for the surgery. That meant taking the right medications at the right times, throughout the day. We learned a great deal about what it means to get ready for this type surgery, especially for Jason, and if there is every a need to do this kind of thing again we will be better prepared. We did run into some challenges, later in the day, and that kept us up, late last night. The good thing was that the girls had gone to bed and that meant the focus was totally on Jason. We made it through and now it is a matter of just getting over to the hospital, when we're supposed to. Joselyn will be coming over to help with everything, and that makes me feel a little more relaxed (Jason, too). Thank you, for all the continued support and prayers. Take care and stay positive.


  1. The Lord gives strength to face whatever happens. Know that I'm praying!
    Isaiah 12:2-5 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation. And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted. Sing unto the LORD; for he hath done excellent things: this is known in all the earth.


Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014