August 27, 2011

Today was a very interesting day for all of us, and especially Jason. It started out a lot like other Saturdays, and aside from Mom being back, it was pretty much just the same. I got tired of him not having the ability to change the channel of his TV so I went down to the store and bought him a universal remote, and batteries. When we got back to his room (side note: the hurricane hasn't started bothering us yet, at this point) it took me all of maybe two minutes to have it functional (that includes the time it took to open the packages). Jason felt much better once he was able to control the TV, and what he watched. The next thing we want to figure out is how he will be able to play a video (DVD).

Jason wanted to get out on his chair today, so we were able to get everything together and him in to his chair in just a few minutes. Now, you have to understand that the only way Jason is able to get around in his chair, and not have his med-tree follow him around, is to get a "push" of his pain medication, and that typically happens once he's in the chair. Today, after getting in the chair the Ortho doctor came by and wanted to talk with Jason, about the up coming surgery, on Tuesday. At this point, Jason was okay and didn't need the extra meds, so we went back into his room with the doctor. We talked with the doctor about the surgery and the H.O. that the surgery is basically on, that is to happen on Tuesday, and he even brought a model of what has happened over the past several months to Jason's pelvis. It showed this mass of H.O. and he said that Jason has more than anyone else he has ever seen, and he's been doing this for several years. They will be coming back tomorrow to talk about it again, as the medical team wants to be sure to get it right, and insure that Jason is in as good a condition as they can when they're done. Now, this conversation has taken over 15 minutes and Jason still has not received the "push" and he is beginning to feel the discomfort.

We talk to the nurses and say he is ready for the "push" now, so they go off to get the meds, and this takes another 5+ minutes. The nurse comes over and gets the pain med injected and in a few seconds, Jason is feeling much better. We turn to go and the doctor from Infectious Disease shows up. She wants to talk to Jason about all the antibiotic meds he has been taking. The conversation takes another 10 to 15 minutes and the final out come is that Jason no longer has to take any of the antibiotics he has been taking for the past three months. There is no sign of any need, and he is looking healthier than he has in a long time. This is good news, even if it did take up more of his chair time. He has been in his chair now for almost 45 minutes and we have gotten about 20 feet from his room. Jason adjust his new gloves (yeah, I went out and bought some new gloves for him, too) and we're off down the hall.

Jason stops at a couple of different rooms and visits with the guys, and they're only short visits, and by the time he has made it back around the floor he is starting to feel the pain again, and wants to get back into his bed. Literally, as we are about to lift him and get him back into his bed we're told that they want to get him down to have another CT-scan of his pelvis, and they want to do it now. Jason agrees so we head off to another part of the hospital, but not until after another "push" has been given, as Jason was beginning to get uncomfortable. The CT-scan didn't take too long so we were back in his room and he was back in his bed in about 30 minutes. This was a good thing because his dinner was now here, and he was hungry. Linda and I went down to the galley to get some dinner for us, as we were getting hungry as well.

Well, I guess the bottom line is that the morning started out a little slow, and the afternoon made up for it. Thank you, for all your prayers and support and please keep everybody on the east coast in your thoughts and prayers as this hurricane comes on through.


  1. Hope Irene doesn't effect you too much!
    Always praying!
    Psalms 139:1-3 O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address


Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014