August 30, 2011 - H.O. Surgery

Jason had a tough day today, but a good day! He started off the day very early with the prep for going to the O.R., and Linda and I were able to be with him for the full time. Normally they take the patients down to the PACU prior to surgery, and they almost always have to spend a good portion of the time just sitting and waiting. To say the least, it is kind of boring for them. Jason didn't have to do that this time, and we were glad. What he did do though, was to have all the preparation done in his room, and he was able to have us as company while he waited. Once they came to take him down to the O.R. it happened in a rather rapid manner. During the waiting period he had visits from several of the doctors, just to make sure he understood what was going on, and to see if he had any questions. It was a nice change, to be sure.

Once he was on his way down to the O.R. Linda and I went to find some things for his room, that we have been wanting to get for the past couple of days - things to hang back up some of the pictures from his previous room. We knew we were going to have some time to work on his room, and then on top of that it looked like he would be going back to the ICU for recovery and spend the night there. The down side to all this is that he won't be able to eat solid food, and will be put on a clear liquid diet, for the rest of the night.

Well, he got through the surgery with no problems, and in fact the results were the best that they could have hoped for. You know how the doctors will always hope for the best and plan for the worst? Well, the best happened. The H.O. was removed, the main section that was causing the most problems. There were no other complications from the surgery and the wounds continue to improve. There was concern that there was going to be some challenges for closing up this "new" wound, and there were none. There are going to be a few days now where he will be in a little more pain than he has been over the past several days, and he went in knowing that. The good side is that it is only for a short while (maybe a few days) and then he will begin to feel much better, all over. There was an initial scare that Jason had developed a blood clot in his arm, and that turned out to be just that... a scare and not a real blood clot. He is resting in the ICU right now, and we will be seeing him in his room tomorrow - early we hope.

We want to thank everybody for your prayers as it seems to have really helped. It is thought that with this new "repair" done he will be able to focus even more strongly on P.T. and building his strength.


  1. Stopping by to let you know I'm still here praying!
    Psalms 61:1-4 Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

  2. It's good to hear his surgery went well and is going to help ease the pain Jason has been living with. We will continue to pray for healing as our Hero travels the path toward a new "normal." God has a plan for Jason. Love and hugs to the three of you {{{{Jason, George, and Linda}}}}

  3. Hi Jason - checking in to see how the surgery went, you amaze me that you are now back in your room and already back in PT. In the last month you have really moved forward, keep going Jason.

    George - your nightly postings are so very informative, you have a great writing style. Hi Linda Too bad you will be gone back to Cali before I get back in MD. Sorry I missed seeing you.

    Marine Mom


Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014