September 1, 2011

Jason had a good day today. I got over to see him early this morning and he was in a good mood, though a little uncomfortable still from the surgery. We talked about what he wanted to do today, and the only two things he listed were to get out in his chair and to head over to Physical Therapy. I asked him if he would like to get out this morning or later this afternoon, and he said it would be closer to 2:00. Then he asked me to head down to PT and make sure they still wanted to work with him this afternoon. I was getting ready to head out when Jason's doctor showed up and I always want to talk with her, to get updates so I delayed going.

Dr. Malone let us know that Jason was doing well and that they would be taking him down to the PACU for a dressing change. She also said that Infectious Disease (I.D.) doctor(s) would be there as well, as they want to check out his wounds to make sure that there was no infection. I asked about the recent blood work that had been done and there were no signs indicating infection, along with good vital signs, and shouldn't that show if there were going to be any infections. She said that all the indicators point to no infection, and the ID doctors just want to take a look to be sure, in case the indicators aren't showing yet. Jason is now on a single antibiotic medicine, and should be coming off that one pretty soon. I guess we'll just have to wait to see what the results are after this next PACU visit.

We were able to get Jason in to his chair a little while after he finished lunch. He actually took a short nap after lunch so he was ready to go afterward. We got to PT and they wanted him doing his exercises from his chair. A short while after we were there, another Orthopedic doctor came in to check out his right hand. We have been a little concerned with how Jason indicates he still has a numbness as well as weakness in that hand. The doctor pointed out a couple of things to help with the rehabbing of the hand, and suggested a brace that should also help. The PT folks were able to get hold of that brace, so we're looking at some new exercises and a brace, over time and his hand should improve.

We got back to his room, as Jason had been in his chair for almost 90 minutes at this point, and I didn't want to see him have any needless pain. By the time he was back in his bed it had been even closer to 2 hours. This was a good test run for tomorrow, as we will probably be looking at close to 2 hours with Jason in his chair, without his PCA to help control the pain. Jason was able to deal without being hooked back up right away and I think that made him pretty happy. He is really looking forward to being at the restaurant, and getting away from the hospital... finally. I will do my best to post some of the pictures as soon as I can, and you'll all have a chance to see how he did.

Please stay tuned for more exciting adventures as Jason continues to heal. Thank you, all for your continued support and prayers.


  1. You're in my prayers!
    Psalms 130:1-2 Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD. Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

  2. A change of scenery is good for the soul. Nice to hear you all experienced the time away from the hospital.

    But the best news in the posting for today is no signs of infection setting in!! oooh rah!

    Marine Mom


Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014