September 21, 2011

Jason had a good day today, and we were able to get several things done. But, before I go into that, there is something that I generally don't do, simply because there are just too many to recognize in this blog. These are a group of inspiring folks who have their own challenges, and yet make time to remember Jason. With that, I would like to acknowledge a group of supporters, from the Diamond Learning Center, who have been cheering Jason on for a long time now. A big THANK YOU, goes out to them, and to all the other people who have been continuing to send their support our way.

Jason went to the PACU for a dressing change, and they went back to the wrap style that they had been using previously. Jason and I both felt much better about his moving around and doing PT, and not worrying about the bandages being secure. The results of the wash and change were positive, and it looks like in a matter of days he will be getting a skin graft, as long as there are no build up of bacterial colonization, and right now there appears to be no sign of that happening.

After he got back from the PACU we had some time to just kick back and relax, but honestly it was for very long. The doctors who wanted to work on his right arm (actually both arms, with the right one getting most of the focus) and find out what kind of damage the shrapnel caused to the nerves in that arm and hand. I was quite impressed, as one of the doctors came to get Jason, to insure that he made it to the offices where they worked (because of all the construction there have been many changes in where doctors were and now are located). He wanted to get Jason down by 13:00 (1pm), and we got there just a few minutes late. They were doing all kinds of test and giving him electrical stimulation just to see what the had and arm would do, and established a base line. There are many other tests they want to do, so we will be going back early next week (Monday). I guess some of the test they were doing were considered new and a bit radical, as there were, at one point, three different doctors working on him, with all of us in a 10 X 10 typical doctor's office. Right after this, Jason was scheduled to head over to the MATC (Military Advanced Training Center).

He got to the MATC by 14:20 (2:20pm) and was able to work on a couple of the machines. Jason wasn't able to work on all the equipment that he would normally use because we did arrive later than usual, and he had been already been in his chair for almost 1 1/2 hours. I got some pictures, and you can see them here on the blog, and it shows some of the things he does every day. I will continue to provide some photos, as new things happen, so that everyone can keep up with how well he's doing and just how good he looks. A little after 15:15 (3:15pm) Jason said he needed to get back to the room. He had been out over 2 hours and that with all the activity was beginning to put a bit of a kink in his comfort.

He and I are getting pretty good at doing a transfer from his bed to his chair and then back again, and this really saves a great deal of time when we need to be somewhere. Even though we are getting pretty good at it we need to begin working on the process of Jason moving from the bed to the chair and back again, on his own. My guess is that he will be doing this next week, if not sooner.

Dinner was provided today by one of the groups who come in to the hospital on a regular basis, and for the life of me their name escapes me, so I apologize for the slight. The dinner was great, turkey, corn, cornbread, stuffing, gravy, and a drink, then cookies for a desert. It was very good. I made up a couple of plates for Jason and I and then Jason wanted a second plate. I hadn't seen him eat that much in a long time. Made me feel good... ;-) After dinner we just set back and relaxed, and I guess all the activity kind of wore him out, because he drifted off to sleep, and so did I. I awoke to some activity in the room (they were taking his vital signs again) and figured it was time for me to head back to my room.

Thank you, for all your continued prayers and support. It has been a long trip, and we have a little ways to go.


  1. Thankful for the good day!
    Always lifting up prayer!
    Psalms 40:5, 11, 13 Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered. (11) Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O LORD: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me. (13) Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me: O LORD, make haste to help me.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

  2. I just found this blog through facebook and I just wanted to say first off: Thank you so much for your service Jason. Saying the words "Thank you" never seem like enough. I am truly thankful for your heroism and courage for my freedom. My prayers will be constant from this day forward for you and your fast recovery. Thank you for this blog so we can follow your recovery process. God Bless.

  3. Really nice blog and very informative about marine.

    marine courses


Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014