May 26, 2014 - Memorial Day

I hope you all had a memorable Memorial Day, I know we did.

We got up early enough, Linda and I were up at 06:30 (actually it was an oops on my part. I looked at the clock and thought it said 07:20, so I jumped up and Linda was right behind me - after taking a shower I looked at the clock again and said, "Oops, it's only 06:40 right now, we have plenty of time."). Anyway, our breakfast was relatively simple with Linda and I eating yogurt and toast and Jason eating Cheerios (he really doesn't like yogurt, unless its frozen). The girls showed up at 08:00 and in the next half hour we were getting ready to head over to the U.S.S. Midway, for a tour of the ship.

We got to the ship and were given special attention. We got into the parking lot area with very little trouble and guided to a parking space that was right in front of the entry point. Craig Fisher, Director of Partnership Marketing, was our guide, and we had a great time, though we had to get going after only being there for 90 minutes. Both girls were tired and wanted to get back home. By the time we had left the place was getting pretty busy, and we were glad our timing was as it was, since we were able to miss most of the crowd coming in. One of the nice things was that Judy Otter and her Husband Ben were there from the Gary Sinise Foundation, as our host for the tour. It was fun being with them and learning about some of the features of the Midway - Ben and I decided to come back in July to ride the simulators and see if either of us get sick... ;-).

There was also a special visit from the Wounded Warrior Family Support Foundation (more information can be found at: . The Foundation is having a Shelby Mustang driven  all around the west, to raise funds to help with the building of Jason's future home. It was a really nice Mustang, and all of us got to sign it (yep we wrote right on the paint), even the girls. It is a 650HP Mustang GT Cobra and from what the guys were telling us, it rode much nicer than the car they drove last year. Last year they drove the Super-Snake Mustang Shelby and it is effectively a race car. It has 850+HP and very stiff suspension. The two drivers and the car were there specifically to help generate awareness and to honor Jason and all the other injured and fallen warriors.

We got home and immediately began to fix lunch, as the girls were telling us they were not only tired, they were hungry. After eating lunch they were soon in bed and EVERYONE in the house was taking a nap. I got up first with the girls waking up soon afterward. I decided that I wanted to grill some meat for dinner, and so that's what I did... after taking the girls to the store with me, and we bought a few things for dinner. It was turning into a great ending for a very nice day. Then it happened...

As I was getting the water ready for the girls to take their bath, I noticed the water wasn't heating up very much, and in fact warm would have been stretching the description. The girls got in anyway, as it wasn't too cold, and they still had fun, but it was a faster than usual bath. I called the maintenance folks and by 19:45 we had a functional water heater again (he said it would be about and hour before the water was hot again). Anyway, the girls are in bed and the day is ending on a positive note... not as smooth as we like but okay. Thank you for all the continued support and prayers. Take care and stay positive.


  1. Sounds like you had a really good day. Even with the water heater going out because it was fixed so quickly.
    What amazing words of Scripture! Praying!
    Psalms 139:17-18 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.


Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

April 29, 2018

March 8, 2018

February 2, 2018