October 13, 2014

What a very "different" kind of day for us.

I got up this morning, very early, as I still wasn't sleeping well through the night. Because of how I have been dealing with this intestinal infection/virus, it has really been starting to get to Linda. I finally agreed to call the V.A. hotline (24-hour Nurse support), and I figured I'd end up getting an appointment set for Tuesday or something. Well, there was a new development with my symptoms, a sort of a numbness on parts of my back and left side, and even down my triceps on my left arm. When I began talking about this the nurse immediately thought I had either experienced a stroke of some kind, or was in the midst of having one. She insisted that I get down to the VA hospital as quickly as possible (she quickly determined that if we drove it would be faster than taking an ambulance).

Linda was getting ready to go work out on the elliptical so it really didn't take long for us to get out of the house and down the road. Jason was feeling pretty good and knew he would be able to take care of himself, at least for a few hours. We arrived at the ER of the VA Hospital and they quickly took me in (the phone nurse had called ahead) and that is when the exams and testing and X-rays began. I was fortunate to have a more senior nurse as my care giver, as she was able to put an IV in with little discomfort. I felt like the drew about a full unit of blood for the lab work. I was to go through several exams, and be sent to the radiation area for several pictures, and while all this took a great deal of time Linda was able to go take care of some other things that were still hanging out there.

Jackie needed to go to her speech therapy, and then back to school, and later both girls would be getting out of school and Linda was supposed to pick them up. Needless to say, Linda drove back and forth a great deal today, and we were able to make all the correct times and appointments. Jason was even able to head over to Target, by himself, and that proved to be an adventure in itself (perhaps I will go into it tomorrow). The day was finally over at about 16:00 (pm), and Linda came back to pick me up.

One of the more interesting, funny, sad things to happen was that two of the doctors who came in to examine me, asked if I had been to Africa recently. I guess the Ebola issue is worry more and more of the medical community, especially when a patient comes in with something they can't figure out. They finally sent me on my way with some medication and instructions to monitor a couple of areas, and watch for specific rashes. There is a chance that what has happened is that early on-set shingles has raised its head. Anyway, I'm doing okay right now and we're getting ready to get to bed. Jason had a great day and Linda spent the day as a shuttle service as well as helping me get through the day, as best she could. Thank you, all, for all the continued support and prayers. Take care and stay positive.


January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014