August 22, 2015

Well, we've had a full day in the new house and we think it is wonderful. We have all the room we have always wanted, and we can move around with all the ease in the world. On top of that we have friends who have been visiting, and we can relax and just have some conversation, just like we were back in Livermore. However, despite all those positive aspects, today was challenging.

We have to get things moved from the former residence, to the new one, and that means moving a bunch of stuff from storage to the new house, as well as moving stuff from the former residence to the new house. All this is well and good, and was coordinated with the Marines, and their TMO folks (the people who take care of military moves). If Jason is able to move some of the household items then he saves the government money, and they in-turn give him some of that money back. It can happen if he moves all his possessions and it can happen if he moves a portion. Jason wants to move a portion, and that means getting the weight of the truck before loading and then again after it has been filled. That way they know how much was moved, by weight. The challenge is finding a place to weigh the truck, before and after. Rob and Steve,, a couple of friends of ours, said they would help me with the picking up of the truck and then loading. I also had help from a number of folks from the Point Loma Presbyterian church, all coordinated through our friend Cynthia, and of course Cynthia was there to help, along with two of the best kids, and a few  other adults.

Well, it began right after breakfast, that Jason's Godmother, Yolanda prepared, and we all got to eat all we wanted. Then I had to go down and pick up the truck, that was going to be used to "empty" the storage unit. Sounds simple enough, except that we headed out to the wrong address, and then once we recognized that we were going the wrong way the GPS decided it was going to make our trip even more exciting. It took us to the wrong city, wrong address, and in a couple of attempts, it was simply wrong altogether. We should have been able to get the truck in about 30 minutes - - it took us about 90. Then we had to find a scale to weigh the truck, and though that wasn't difficult, the scale was to close at noon, so our time was short. We headed on down to the storage unit, and traffic was getting heavy, so the trip ended up being much longer than I thought it would be.

We finally got to the storage and we were able to connect up with all the helpers that had committed to lending a hand... we were only about 3 hours late at this point. The way the move works with the military is that the truck has to be weighed when it is empty and then again after it is full. Simple enough, except that public weigh stations are sometimes difficult to find, and knowing where one is listed, doesn't mean there is going to be one there, once you arrive. I drove to a couple empty fields and also to building that had no scales. We needed to get it done, if Jason was to get credit from the military for moving his own things. We finally found a place that would weigh the full truck, only it was almost an hour away, and they closed in 30 minutes. Thanks, to the efforts of Cynthia the place stayed open and we managed to get the job done. As you might guess, our stress level was shooting up and we were ready to just "eat" the costs.

We then drove back to the house where Jason had arranged to have 12 Marines there, to help unload. When I laid out the basic instructions and they got started, it only took them 15 minutes to get everything unloaded and sitting in the garage. Now we have to do our best to integrate all the stuff in to the house. One of the Marines also has connections with a company that provides those bounce houses, that kids like, and set one up on Jason's grass, so the kids would have something to do, while the Marines worked. A  couple of the Marines also brought the own children.

We all got to relax and Yolanda, and the other ladies (Karen, Karen and Linda) all worked together to get dinner ready. We all had dinner around the dinning table and we, all 11 of us, sat together. Jason wanted to remain in his bed, to get some extra rest. We got a chance to just sit and talk and relax, then the evening was over. Everyone chipped in and the clean up was quick. A short while later everyone was heading home, and promising to come back tomorrow, where I will cook a nice breakfast. Thank you, for all the continued support and prayers. Take care and stay positive.


  1. Missed the post yesterday so didn't know you'd moved. Sorry there were issues but so glad the day's finally here.
    Know that I'm here praying!
    Psalms 91:1-2, 4 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. (4) He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

  2. The Lord will be with you no matter what you're going through. Always here praying!
    Psalms 91:9-12 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.


Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

April 29, 2018

March 8, 2018

February 2, 2018