October 13, 2011

Today was an amazing day. Jason got out in his chair today, and went down to the MATC to get some aerobic work in, and a little weight training, all of it being from the chair. But, actually, I'm getting ahead of myself. Since Jason's last visit to the O.R. I noticed a bit of bacterial growth on his left side. I pointed this out to the Doctors and there was a decision made to wash it of with a special solution, with Jason just staying in the bed - this was yesterday. Today they looked at it and said that it looks better and wanted to wash it out again, then tomorrow they will be taking some scrape samples to the lab to confirm what it is exactly. This was all done in the morning, after breakfast, and actually just a little prior to us going down to the MATC. I was concerned with the attention to this area it was going to be a bit of irritation and Jason wasn't going to be able to get into his chair. He was a little uncomfortable, at first, then gradually got comfortable in the chair.

After we got back to Jason room, about 15:15 (3:15PM) he was ready to take a break. I was actually surprised at how long Jason was able to stay out in his chair, since he really didn't have that much in the way of pain medications prior to leaving. I think he is trying to get less dependent on the drugs, as he has been taking them for over seven months now, and his system is becoming more tolerant of their affects on his body (in other words it takes more to do the same thing sometimes).

We had a couple of visitors early on in the morning, with the Retired Marines coming by and a visit by the Red Cross volunteers. These people are pretty amazing in that you almost always see them here, and they are all doing their best to see if the patient (or families) need anything, and they are always friendly. Then later this evening we got a real treat as Congressman John Garamendi came by to visit. Actually I had contacted his office a couple of days ago and in just two days he pushed his calendar around so that he could get over to visit with Jason. I had actually met Congressman Garamendi in the past, though he wasn't a Congressman at the time. When he came in the room he did one of those double takes when he saw me and said, "I know you." And I said, "Yes we've met before." So that kind of made it a nicer visit. They stayed for about 30 minutes and we talked about all kinds of stuff, and I think that made Jason feel pretty good. YES, I did get them to sign the Red Book and we took a few pictures that I'll get posted later. I was very happy to see them, and feel that Jason was please as well.

It has been a long day, and tomorrow Jason goes in for another surgery. I am hoping that it is the final surgery, at least before we head out to rehab. The last O.R. visit went well, and I believe that this one will be even better. Thank you, all for your continued prayers and for keeping Jason and all the people in harms way in your hearts.


  1. Always here praying!
    Psalms 46:7, 10-11 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.(10-11) Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

  2. Jason,

    My heart sunk last night when I found out about this. I'm really upset I didn't find out sooner actually. It's crazy eight and nine years ago we were bunkmates then cruizing the mean streets of Okinawa together. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery and keep on fighting warrior. If there is anything we can do in Jville, please don't hesitate to let us know. Stay strong Brother.

    -Aaron Blomquist


Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014