December 21, 2014 - Happy Winter

Today is the first day of winter, and it really showed down here. I actually got the light jacket out of the closet and carried it with us tonight (didn't put it on, but I had it just in case). We went out for a nice dinner with another couple tonight, and it was very enjoyable. They took us to a Mexican Sea Food restaurant and the food was excellent. Afterward we went to another place and had dessert, which was also very good. Needless to say, I need to get some exercise in tomorrow to "pay" for all this - I must have gained 5 lbs.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. This morning we got up and decided we really needed to finish all the Christmas cards, and we did. The challenge was that today is Sunday and the Post Office is closed, or at least that was what I thought. It was still early, almost 08:00 and I decided to go for a ride. On my way out I rode over to the local post office and they have a notice on the door that said they were going to be open today, after 10:00 for four hours. I immediately stopped and got on the phone and called Linda to let her know that we could still get the cards to the post office TODAY! I got my 21 miles in and felt pretty good, when I got back home. Jumped in the shower and the two of us were off to mail the letters. The oops I made was that I didn't see that our local office was still closed and we needed to go to another one. We stopped to get some gas at Costco (gas is continuing to go down, and that is a good thing) and then headed out to the next closest office.

We arrived at El Cajon post office and there was just one other person in line. We basically walked up and another clerk came up to the counter and we were served. He was extremely helpful and since we had 90 Christmas cards, that all had to be checked individually, with one of the also being international, we needed the extra attention. As it turned out most of the cards needed an additional $.42 of postage (they were slightly over weight and they all had a special handling because of size), and he came up with the easiest solution for stamps. We got the cards mailed and we felt pretty good, since this was the first time we had sent out cards in almost five years. When we got back home we realized that we had forgotten a few so we'll end up getting those out tomorrow, and they'll probably be a little late in arriving.

Once we were done with that we decided to head back home and get things ready so we could get out tonight (the dinner I talked about, above). We needed to make sure Jason was taken care of and he had a dinner ready for him. I did a dressing change and the wounds are looking better again, and that makes me hopeful for the rest of the year. We went to dinner and had a very enjoyable time and came back home, with some time to spare. The girls were coming over at 20:00 (8pm), or so we thought to stay with us a night early. They showed up about an hour later and we were all happy to be together again. They had been fed, bathed and were ready for bed, and this was excellent. I read them a nice bed time story and Linda and I put them to bed. Jason had fallen asleep by the time they came, so he'll have to wait until morning to see them. Thank you, for all the continued support and prayers. Take care and stay positive.


  1. It's always good getting cards out before Christmas. Haven't always done that!
    Know that the Lord is on your side and I'm here praying!
    Psalms 118:4-6 Let them now that fear the LORD say, that his mercy endureth for ever. I called upon the LORD in distress: the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place. The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?


Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014