November 15, 2011

Jason started with a busy day of needing to get down to the C5 gym, where he was able to work on both physical as well as occupational therapy. The two therapists were happy with his results and would have liked to have had more time to work with him today, so decided to have him start even earlier tomorrow. This morning I went over and had some oatmeal with him (with raisins and brown sugar of course), just to be sure we both had some breakfast to get started. Then, just a few minutes after we finished we had to start getting ready to go on down to the gym. We didn't get very far, and then there were all kinds of people coming in to his room.

They were asking questions about his "new" house, and wanted to know if there were any other things he had questions about. Actually, that is one of my favorite questions. People ask, "Do you have any questions?" and I am sure they are being as honest with it as they can be. The problem is that the real response is, "I don't know enough to know what to ask yet." But that question does come up often enough. Anyway, we worked on making sure the right transportation was coming, later that morning; Jason asked them to begin getting the correct paperwork together for his kids, as they will be needing day care, once they get here. We also talked a little about making sure all his household belonging were going to be brought out in a timely manner. All of this was discussed as we were trying to get out of the room, so he could get to C5 and the gym. Oh, yes, one other thing... His bed was not functioning correctly and they needed to order another one.

Well, we finally made it over to the gym and he got to work on the Pilates equipment. It was stuff he had not worked with in the past, and I think he had a good time doing something different. All that w\ork was directed at strengthening his arms and working his shoulders. Then Lynn, the OT lady came over to help him in some of his normal daily living skills. As it turned out, she was wanting him to work on being able to get dressed on his own, and then found out that for the most part he already is getting dressed on his own. She saw how he was able to do most of the move, unassisted, and was both surprised and pleased.

Once the work at the gym was done, and it was actually very impressive how one thing stopped and the next immediately began; there was a driver from the Marines who was to take us over to Jason's new house, so he could take a look at it. We got over to the house and found out that Jason's chair is a little larger (wider) than most of the chairs, and he was not able to maneuver around in the house as he would like to be able to do. Jason quickly decided that it was not a good fit for his needs, and so we had to let the Housing folks know that another place was going to have to be found. This is a little concerning as we now are looking for Bridgette and the girls to be coming out very soon.

We did a little more looking around and then headed back to the hospital. We all felt that it was a good visit, and we were glad that we went. We mentioned to Jason's nurse that he had seen the house and she said she was glad he had done that. Apparently most of the patients just go along with whatever they are given and then find out they are not happy with the housing and are now short on alternatives. With us taking Jason there and finding out now, at least there is a chance that it can be corrected.

Jason rested for most of the rest of the evening, and we didn't see any visitors. Today is Linda's and my 36th wedding anniversary, so we talked to Jason and let him know that we wanted to go out and see a movie, at a theater. It was the first time I have been in a movie theater for almost a year. The movie we saw was entertaining, though I'm not going to give it a plug here. It was just nice being able to do something a little different, and knowing that Jason was okay.

Thank you, for all your support and continued prayers, I think we are getting close to the end of this portion of his journey. Also, as you can see from this posting I am doing it late, and I am a bit tired, so there are probably some errors, so I as for indulgence for that.


  1. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a blessing that you were able to celebrate it together!
    Whatever the Lord allows to happen in your life, He'll get you through! Praying!
    Psalms 91:9-12 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

  2. I am so glad that Jason spoke up about the house. It doesn't make sense to be in a dwelling and not be able to get around in it! I hope the Housing folks are able to find something soon that is a good fit for him and his family!! It sounds from your posts that Jason is getting physically stronger each day and is a step ahead. We'll continue to pray for healing of all wounds and give thanks for answered prayers.

    All our best,
    Karen & Rob
    Livermore Friends

  3. We love that Jason made his needs known about the housing. Gotta like where ya live and it needs to work with each individuals needs! =) Can't wait for all the kinks to be worked out and peace of mind to be restored for Jason about his family!


Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014