June 13, 2011 - A day in the sun

Jason had a busy day today, with it starting off with banjo lessons. Jim came by (during his break) and spent close to 1/2 an hour with Jason. Jason showed us that he can move his fingers enough to start playing a round (that is a specific way of describing how a player picks the strings in a specific order), and with practice he will be able to play it like a pro. It makes me want to pick up my guitar and start playing with it again, so we can play together - either that or I'll learn how to play the banjo too!

The doctors all came in and talked a bit about how he was doing and asking him how he was feeling, pretty much like they do on a regular basis. I guess it is one of those things that I'm happy with, and that is that Jason never shows any tiring of them, even when they don't bring any new information. He will see, on average, about 10 doctors every day, and tomorrow he will be seeing a bunch of them as he goes in to the O.R. again. We're hoping that it is simply a check and a wash-out of his wounds, with possibly the removal of one of the wound vacs - both if we're lucky. We'll just have to wait and see tomorrow.

Jason also got out on his chair today, and went out side the hospital again. We got out side and then he said, "I could really go for a chocolate milk shake." So, like any good mom, Linda sent me to go get one. Fortunately there is a McD's near by and they do have milk shakes. I came back with a milk shake for Jason, Mom and me. One was offered to Bridgette but she said she was going to the gym a little later and didn't think it was a good idea to drink a milk shake and then run on the tread mill (I think she's right). While I was gone the power chair guy (Pete the Chair Guy) came by and put a cup holder on his chair. We stayed out and visited for a couple of hours when I had to be the spoil sport and said we had to go back in. Jason had come out without his medications and I.V. hookups, so it was about the limit he could go. It was nice being out though, as a bunch of folks came by that we knew and they all took the time to stop and talk with Jason.

Linda and I plan on trying to get out to Washington, D.C. again, tomorrow, so we'll be gone when he gets back from the O.R. We talked to him already about this and he is strongly in favor of us going. The weather is supposed to be much better (not so hot and muggy) so we should be okay. Otherwise, we'll see him in the evening and get the update then.

Thank you, for the continued prayers of support, it is something that we are going to need for some time to come.


  1. Hi Jason,

    It is so good to hear that you are doing well. I read your blog every day to find out how you are. Your dad is a great writer. Keep up the good work. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Eileen Bitting
    Marine Mom
    Blue Star Mom
    Danville, CA

  2. Hey dear Ross family- Thinking of you all...sending hugs...and can't wait to hear some banjo music! George I will get my guitar out too! I put it aside when I got the Rheumatoid arthritis dx because it became much harder to play. But if you all are game, I am.
    Love, Carol

  3. Dear Ross' I finally got my computer working and came to your site as fast as I could. I am happy to see all the pictures... You look good Jason...more like David... if that's ok to say... hee hee
    I am so glad to hear of your progress. Playing the banjo... that's great... soon it will be deliverance... George or Linda you may have to tell him if he is to young to know that song. I continue to pray and think about you everyday. Keep up the good work... and by the way... McDonalds milkshakes are the best however I like vanilla... hehe

  4. Great move by Pete the Chair Guy! Looks like more days outside with milkshakes in the horizon! How wonderful Jason's fingers and hands are getting better to be able to play the banjo!! Steve Martin (wild and crazy guy) plays the bsnjo really well, he's in a blue grass band. They even have an album out - check it out. This weekend was the Livermore Rodeo. Saturday it was so overcast and chilly, it was hard to believe it was rodeo weekend. Usually it's so hot that we never even entertain the idea of sitting out to watch it. Sunday was just beautiful, perfect weather. The Wounded Warriors receieved a check from some folks that made tshirts and the profits went to WW. We contributed to the cause. It sounds like the doctors make it a point to check in with you Jason, they probably are so inspired by your tenacity and strong spirit (as well as Bridgette's !! ) Hope there is good news tomorrow with wound vac and George and Linda have a good day in D.C. !! We're thinking of you all and I ready your blog and pray for all ya'll everyday. Have a good one, love, Karen & Rob Weaver

  5. As you can see from my msg. I can't type at two in the morning, but I woke up and realized I had not read the blog tonight so I got up to do so. Nite


Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014