We didn't have much of an exciting day today, as it started out raining, but then a little later in the day it rained even harder. Finally, after a few hours it started to let up some, but didn't stop, and then finally after most of the day was over it was down to a drizzle. That's about when I walked back to the Fisher House, from the Hospital. That's right, I am now in the Fisher House, and it is within walking distance of the hospital. It is about 3/4 mile away, but that really isn't too bad, as long as it isn't raining too much. The room is as nice as the hotel, maybe even a little nicer, and I have the rest of the "house" to use, if I feel like going out and just sitting down for awhile. Best of all, there is a laundry room where I did my laundry, and they have all the needed detergent already here. Actually, that was one of my concerns, that I was going to have to unpack more clothes, but now I don't have to.

Jason took a shower today, and he felt very good afterward. There was a serious challenge for him to be able to get into the shower, but once we made it past that point (and then having to get back out again) it was much better for him. I went over the dressing changes with the Wound Care Nurse, and she gave us her ideas about how the wounds should be dealt with, and those ideas were somewhat different from what we have been doing at Bethesda and Balboa. I will take her comments and see what might be incorporated, but considering that what we're doing is working, I don't think I want to make too many changes right now.

After Jason was showered and dressed, he said he wanted to head on down to the hospital cafeteria for lunch. Their cafeteria is much smaller than either Bethesda or Balboa, but the food is okay (the vegetables are consistently over cooked, but it is cafeteria style), and it tastes better than what he has been getting in his room. We wondered about the hospital for a couple of hours, and stopped in on the OT and PT areas, just to see what they had, and to see if there was anything Jason might take advantage of. As stated in previous posts, they are not set up for injuries such as Jason's, so even though their facilities are nice, it isn't something that Jason will be going back to visit.

I had dinner at the Fisher House, tonight, where I had a couple of pulled pork sandwiches with fruit, and it was adequate for me, for tonight... and it was free. I plan on getting over to the hospital about the same time tomorrow, and then perhaps Jason and I will head down to have breakfast down stairs - depending on how he is feeling.Thank you, for all your continued prayers and support, and take care and stay positive.


  1. Glad you're at Fisher House. Gotta warn you about the weather, though, it can change in minutes! It can go from completely sunny to pouring rain and back again in a very short amount of time! So always assume you're going to get wet if you walk anywhere.
    Philippians 4:8-9 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
    My email address

  2. God bless all of you. The blog would make a great book.
    The Journey of Staff Sgt Jason Ross and family. The price of freedom paid.

    I hope you get back to Balboa soon. It was very sad news to hear Derek McConnell died. I received Facebook posts following Derek. I will never forget his youtube video, A Farewell to Wilson made when came off the PCA. Very Sad Loss.

    We will keep you in our prayers.
    Denise Edwards


Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014