Wow! There have been more than 600 posts now to this blog, and I just noticed it today. One of these days I plan on going back over all these posts and seeing if I can actually put together a book of some sort, but that is way down the line from now. Anyway, on to today's entry...

I got up and going a little earlier today, than yesterday, and I stayed a little later than I did yesterday. I might do the same again tomorrow. Oh, wait, some of you are thinking, "Hey, they're supposed to be traveling tomorrow, and heading back down to California, ultimately San Diego." And, you'd be right in thinking that. We are SUPPOSED to be headed down, but due to a scheduling issue, it was decided that Jason and I will be here at least until Saturday. The problem arose from the fact that there were four patients scheduled to get on the plane and fly down. Three of them were not ready/able to do so, so Jason and I are stuck here for another few days. Neither of us are happy about it, and we're looking into other options that might allow us to still get down sooner.

The folks here are all eager to help us, and they are doing their best to provide the needed care, but the truth is that this hospital is not set up for amputee support, and Jason needs other care, than what they can provide. We have people on both coasts working to come up with a solution, as they don't like the idea of Jason being here any more than we do, or at least that's how they sounded when contacted today. On top of that, I am currently staying at an on-base hotel/Inn, and it is nice but it is too far from the hospital for my needs, and I am having to pay for it, out of pocket, and will be reimbursed later. I have been told that they are going to attempt to get me into the Fisher House tomorrow, so that will help. It is right across the street from the hospital, and it has all the facilities I need (assuming that it is like the Fisher Houses I've seen in the past).

One of the issues that Jason has been dealing with is that the room he is in (and the floor for that matter) does not have internet access, for the patients. We felt that since we were to be leaving on Wednesday it wasn't something we needed to fight about. Today we fought about it... Jason now has internet access in his room, and he is the only one on the floor to have it. Another challenge was being able to get up and out, so tomorrow we will be going for a stroll around the grounds, for at least a little bit, and then try to use their shower facilities (again, modified today for Jason).

Late yesterday, we got news that Army Sgt Derek McConnel passed away, and it was kind of a shocker for Jason, as we just spoke with him on Friday, in the hospital. He was up and around with his fiance' and neither of us suspected anything was wrong. He made a point of coming over to talk with Jason and to tell him that Jason was one of the first guys to come visit him, and that Jason was his inspiration for fighting so hard. He had been at Bethesda/Walter Reed for about 18 months. God has received another of his warriors.
So, tonight I ask that you all say an extra prayer for his family and loved ones, and thank you for continuing to support us along the journey... God Bless.

Comments

  1. I am so sorry about the loss of Jason's friend Derek. That is very sad indeed. A warrior to the end.
    Take good care of yourselves ... wish I could be there to help fight for what you need. I know it is exhausting...Sending all the energy I can.
    Hugs, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has to be so frustrating getting stuck there!
    I didn't realize you knew Derek. I hope that they can figure out what happened. Was so sorry, too that his fiance never got to take his name.
    Know that I'm always here praying so very, very hard!
    Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...and from the sounds of the weather you might be able to combine the walk and the shower...more rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. George, was hoping to drop off a meal to you and Jason tomorrow, so sorry you are still up there. I can't wait for the day to hear that Jason and his girls are reunited once more. Think I'm going to have to purchase some "fresh" groceries as I had shopped for the house last Friday.... Call me if there is anything I can do, until then I hope you both get home quickly, these medevac flights can be so frustrating. Many hugs and looking forward to seeing both of you soon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jason and George,

    I'm at my father's home. He goes in for a medical procedure tomorrow and I will take him and stay with him afterwards. I'm so sorry to learn of Jason's friend that passed unexpectedly. How's everything going today? It rained here on this side of the bay today but not enough to really call it a good rain, more of a good drizzle.

    Thinking of you folks today,
    Take good care,
    Karen & Rob
    Livermore Friends

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

10 Alive Day (10 Years after the blast)