May 25, 2011 - A visit from some friends

Today was a good day, though it started off a little rough. Jason was scheduled to go into the O.R. by 10:00 this morning, and that means they were going to take him from his room at about 9:00. As it turned out when they came in to get him ready for transport (that's what they call it) the corpsman unplugged his bed and the battery backup didn't kick-in. The inflation device was only off-line for about 30 seconds, but that was way too long for Jason. Considering what happened last time there was a problem with his bed I think he actually held it together pretty good. Apparently the batteries that are supposed to supply power to the bed, when there is no "wall-power", had failed somewhere in the past and there is no indicator that the batteries were bad. Well, it took them about an hour to figure out what to do, and we finally got him transferred to another bed and then they took him to the O.R., pretty well sedated. When he came back, he had a brand new bed... again. It was explained to us that the folks in the PACU (the area pre and post O.R. visit) had failed to plug the bed in, and the batteries simply wore out as a result. It sounds a little weak, but that's what we were told.

Just prior to going to the O.R., while they were still attempting to set up plan-B, the Assistant Secretary of the Navy came by and asked if Jason was open for a visit. He said he was, so she came in and spent about 10-12 minutes talking with Jason. I got another picture (new pictures will be posted this weekend) and had her sign the welcome log, so when Jason leaves this place he is going to have a bunch of names to look back on and say, "Did I really talk to them?"

After he was back in his room GySgt John Hayes, and his wife, came by and visited for about 30 minutes. He has injuries that are similar to Jason's and so they have some extra things in common, besides being married and in the Marines. He had some photos of him wearing his prosthetic legs, and talked about the advances that are happening all the time. He also talked about some of the challenges Jason and John, will be facing, because there really aren't very many guys with his type injuries. John talked about the level of dedication the prosthetic engineers and technicians have, towards finding solutions to the needs of the guys with the most sever type injuries; and, that because it is military they have generally greater resources to draw upon. It was a good visit for all of us.

We spent the rest of the day, and into the night just sitting with Jason and talking with him, and watching movies. He was feeling the affects of the anesthetic from the O.R. still, and kept falling asleep, and that's a good thing. Anyway, it was a long day today, for me anyway, but over all... it was a very good one. Thank you, to everyone for your continued support and prayers.


January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014