First, what happened yesterday?

Yesterday was a fairly normal Thursday for us, other than; 1) Linda took Jason to his appointments, so that she could get a feel for what it was like; and, 2) it allowed me to go for a longer bike ride (close to 30 miles) and not have to wonder if I'm being out too late, rolling around in the back of my mind; and, 3) we went to a Freedom Alliance benefit dinner that lasted longer than we thought we were going to be out - but more on that later.

Linda had a pretty good experience, even though she accidentally hit a switch under the dash that shuts off the ramp extender. It took a little bit to find the reset button, and everything went back to normal. The real positive is that now she knows about the switch and reset button, so that if it should happen again it won't be any problem at all. She and Jason got back to the house a little after I did, and my ride was very good as a solid training ride. I went out to Cabrillo National Park and then road up to the light house. On the way back down I rode past the street where I would turn back to go to the house and continued on to Sea World, and beyond, then finally turned back around and went back to the house. What was particularly good about this ride was that I didn't have to stop to break until I was up at Cabrillo Park, and then a second break at about the 22 mile mark. Neither break went more than 3 minutes, and I had plenty of Gatorade and water to get me all the way.

Finally, after Jason's shower, that he took when we were all back home, we all laid down for a little rest. Oh, and we did have a quick lunch in there as well. We all dressed up and left the house at about 18:15 (6:15pm) and that was a little later than I wanted, but I thought what the heck we have plenty of time (I know, famous last words). We got out on the road and at about Carlsbad the traffic slowed, got slower still and finally almost stopped. I didn't start to worry about it, until we had lost almost 20 minutes and I knew we were going to be late. As it turned out, we kind of crawled along for about 10 miles and then the traffic started to loosen up. Shortly there after we were moving at full speed again and we did, in fact, make it before the dinner started. Once we were there I recognized a few people that we met last year, at this same event and then ran into Nick Popaditch (author of "Once A Marine" - good book to understanding the mindset of a career Marine). He came over and met Jason and Linda and we had a couple of pictures taken. Shortly after that we had our picture taken with Ronald Regan's son, Michael and Lt. Col. Oliver North. At this point it was time for us to go in and have dinner. While all this is going on, Bob Hamer, our benefactor for tonight's dinner and invitation, is bringing us our name tags and making sure we're alright.

Dinner was excellent, and we got to sit with Kelly Carlson (TV: Nip/Tuck and the movie "Marine") and her boy friend (who happens to be Navy - go figure). I only knew of her because Jason had told me she had come to visit him once in Bethesda, and Linda didn't remember who she was either. She is a friend of both Bob Hamer and Gary Sinise. Anyway, it was a great evening until Jason started to feel uncomfortable and we had to leave. We did get to stay long enough to see Bob receive an award of recognition, and a couple of short talks. Fortunately the drive home was relatively quick and without incident.

Today, Jason decided that he would rather just stay in bed for most of the day. We got him breakfast and made sure that things were well within his reach, then Linda and I took off to be tourists again. It was for a matter of a few hours, and it was another opportunity to allow Jason to be "on his own" for a little while, and all worked well. What we did was we went on a tour of the San Diego and Coronado Island area, and it gave me a chance to learn a little more about the history of this place.

We came back home at about 16:00 (4pm), and Jason wanted to get a shower in, as well as to have his dressings changed. Not much else for this evening other than Linda doing some packing and organizing, and checking in her flight... yes, she is flying home tomorrow. We are going to miss her, and hope to be able to get her back here sooner rather than later. Thank you, for all your continued prayers and support and take care and stay positive.


January 2017

January 2017
Jason gets a visit from Gen. Jon Monett

January 2017

January 2017
With Gary at the GSF Office

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2012 Blog post 525 (for those keeping score)

May 6, 2014